Landing New Jersey banner


Left, Ray D'Agostino, Bertrand Park Owner unveils the Historical Marker as Martin Kane,
Lake Hopatcong Historical Museum Curator & Alan Cuda, grandson of Park founder Louis Kraus look on

On a beautiful September day in 2008, a group of long-time residents, historians and fans of Bertrand Island Amusement Park gathered to remind one another of the good times spent at the much loved park and dedicate a Historical Plaque that stands at the park's site, now a housing community . From circa 1922 to the park's closing in 1983, generations enjoyed the wooden roller coaster, an aeroplane swing, picnic groves and a dance hall as well as the bathing beach, diving tower and boat docks.

It was a great day for a ceremony. Martin Kane, president of the Lake Hopatcong Historical Museum, made some opening remarks about how the park is still so well remembered by so many northern New Jersey residents. He explained how volunteers had performed all the work including the movement of the boulder from a local quarry and the use of a large crane to lift the boulder into place. Recognized was local contractor, Tom Valiante who performed much of the work.

In attendance with past concessionaires, park fans, current residents and Mount Arlington officials were Ray D’Agostino and Alan Cuda. They represented the park’s ownership for most of its history. Al Cuda is the grandson of Louis Kraus, who founded the park in 1922. Ray originally was a partner in the park with his father and Larry Donofrio from 1948 to 1964 and would own the park by himself for another 14 years. Each offered insight into how special a place it was – the local amusement park where everyone seemed to know each other.

Art Ondish, mayor of Mount Arlington and also a former concessionaire at the park, pointed out that some thirty years before we would have been standing right about where the Dodgem Cars were located. He added a few of his own park memories.

With that Ray D’Agostino pulled the cover and the plaque was revealed to confetti and cheers. The crowd then broke up into small groups with much discussion about the roller coaster, carousel, nickel nights, popcorn and cotton candy. It may have been 25 years since Bertrand Island Park closed but you would have never known it on this beautiful September afternoon.


from left: Ray D'Agostino, owner,   Martin Kane, author of  Greetings from Bertrand Island Amusement Park
and Alan Cuda, grandson of park founder Louis Kraus

Mr. & Mrs. D'Agostino with Pat DiMarino, center, Penny Arcade & Skee Ball Concession owner

Pat DiMarino with Tom Valiante, center, whose summer job was Park maintenance and later owned the water cycle ride,
Ray D'Agostino at right. Tom Valiante & Sons acquired the rock from Landing's own McNear Mountain and
donated the installation for the project

Mr. & Mrs. Ray D'Agostino & Pat DeMarino with Charlie Coe, center, whose family was part owner and also owned a custard stand

The Historical Plaque evokes the memories of Bertrand Island Amusement Park

While this website is an independent effort, we strongly recommend a visit to the The Lake Hopatcong Historical Museum at Lake Hopatcong State Park, open Sunday afternoons in the Spring and Fall. They have a large permanent exhibit about Bertrand Island. Admission is free, donations accepted. Martin & Laura Kane, Curators of the Museum, have authored a book "Greetings from Bertrand Island Amusement Park", and a Historical DVD Video Presentation of Bertrand Island with vintage film of the Park in action, available at the Museum or by mail.

Click here to  Return to main page